Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sunshine

A dusting of sunshine on the street.

Don’t know whether there is any other way to put it. But a dusting. Or a mite more than a dusting.

Certainly it is a stronger sunshine than that in colder lands, but here, it holds promise of a blazing hot afternoon. The kind for one to throw off confining clothes and work, skin breathing and glistening with sweat, in full freedom.

Writing that, you can imagine my envy of a person who can do that. I am in the confines of an ‘office’. A prisoner till the end of the shift. All starched up and proper, deferential and smart. Ugh! Whereas I would have the freedom of my time, the needs of the body demand otherwise.
My jailer has given me a great view of the city outside. So I can work, longing for the freedom of the street.

Yesterday I was walking through my valley. I fell in love again. With beauty.

There is so much beauty in the day to day things which we fail to see. I certainly fail to see it.
My memory of these places, when I was walking from school, hot, tired, bothered, hungry, mind focused on getting home and some food into the stomach. I never bothered to look and see. So it is in the morning.

Rush hour we call it. Always rushed. Little time to stop and laze going to work. Letting the business of busy flow about us a cataract turbulence that bothers us not. I tried that today, coming in to work. Left home earlier than usual. Came walking the first kilometer. Relaxed, watching the rest of humanity rush by to school and work and the myriad other things that make people rush in the morning.

I found myself relaxed and good tempered, though I knew I am in for a long day. Doesn’t matter, I can still enjoy it. Freedom is of the mind, and here, on the blog, I have the freedom of cyber.

Listening to the news this morning, I realized that the land wars are becoming heated. We are a fractured society, and the deepest cracks are according to our ethnicity. The wounds are glaring open, wide, and the leaders are steadily ferrying us to the cliff.

God help Uganda.

I am worried, but I may not be able to do anything.

The people who can do something are not talking, and venom comes out when they breath. And a military man is threatening force, the usual ‘solution’ which incenses others. And others are looking on, not likely to step in between these raging elephants. Uganda, after a few years of ethnic peace, is tittering on the verge of rupture. At least that is what I see, but my leaders? Well, the ego is a wonderful thing.

Wish I could get the beloved leader by the ears and shake his bald head a bit. When a general in the army threatens military intervention in the parliament- something is going wrong.

Oh well, life will continue. Hopefully, sense will return to us. The probability of that is low.

So, I will continue looking out the window at the sun, which has now strengthened and is well into midday heat. The afternoon will be sizzling. Yes, it will be.

GayUganda

5 comments:

Princess said...

hey, gug?
How about just one light-hearted post?
Where you don't tint the beauty of the world as you see it with the shadows of how others perceive it?
I begin to wonder how oft you smile...

gayuganda said...

Hi Princess,

Ouuuuch!!!!

I never smile. So that I can blend into my world you know.

Seriously, am I too down?

Kind of seems like I have to write about the sunshine and the mud, you know, give it a realistic mix.

So, poems it will be, and if you dont comment...

gug

Princess said...

"...and if I don't coment..."
Has an ominous ring to it.LOL.
I'm shaking in my boots(actually, sneaks):)
Hey! I'm smiling at you,
smile back!

DeTamble said...

does Uganda use Celsius or Fahrenheit to measure heat?

I'm curious as to how hot it gets there compared with how hot is is here.

gayuganda said...

Celsius.

Let me see, when it is hot, it is rarely above the low 30s and when it is cold, it does not dip below the higher teens.

Equable weather..!

gug

Post a Comment