Saturday, April 26, 2008

Kampala

I am embarrassed.

Woke up today, very early. Prepared, in part because my lover was also up, and had something to do in town. So, out of bed, to town, on a Saturday morning. Only to discover that I was not supposed to be at work.

Sent a message to my lover. (Didn’t want to talk to him. A sharp tongue sometimes!) And he rang back, and asked me how I had come to make such an embarrassing mistake. Not so subtle!

I decided to walk back home. Wanted to say in penance, but if it was penance, I loved it too much. Heavy overcast, sun just filtering a grey light through. Promising rain, but none as yet. Kampala is a burgeoning city. Yes, despite the too visible signs of squalid poverty, there is a pace to it that is ‘city like’. A poem, that I stopped on the roadside to pen.



Kampala-

burgeoning, building, busy city;

the feel of the inside of an anthill-

termite citadel indeed,

all inhabitants busy going- somewhere

too busy to take note

one tiny insignificant ant, me.



GayUganda

18 comments:

DeTamble said...

You're really good at this poetry thing. Me likes this one, ant boy! :-D

Princess said...

"to take not one tiny insignificant ant, me"

did you leave something out here?

the antipop said...

waaat? you forget that you are not supposed to work? i on the other hand forget that i have work at all. until my boss calls and reminds me of deadlines...

gayuganda said...

deT, thanks. Seems my inbox is full of comments, did these people decide to release a blizzard?

Ouch, princess. Somewhere the editor didnt see that. Correcting now.

Antipop, that was the problem, and so embarassing. But hell, one bout of unemployment and you will understand the feeling of never, ever forgeting to work!!!!

gug

Iwaya said...

just letting you know I'm around, quiet but around. I loved the posts on the wedding traditions. riveting.

Princess said...

Sorry, bro. I never did learn to be as polite as you always are...
Bluntness is one of my many faults-

DeTamble said...

Yes, Sis! One of your MANY MANY MANY faults!! :-P Hehehehehehe.

And now for something completely different.

Do you really want to date a white boy when you are in NY??

Princess said...

Let me think.
White boy?

NO. I'll be looking out for the Ugandan boys... :D

DeTamble said...

GOOD! I'm pleased to hear it! You stay away from those pasty boys! They're not good enough for my little Sister!!!

Princess said...

:D
I take it Hunk is a little dark of skin then?

DeTamble said...

Hush Princess!

Princess said...

LOL!

gayuganda said...

[Sigh]

Seems me and the brothers have our work cut out for us. For the next 20 years or so.

Either we shall be looking for uncollected bride prices, or whipping the dear sisters into shape. Drat the mothers. They should have taught you'all the proper customs and duties of a nice traditional woman!!!!!

Guess, I might start supporting the Saudi Arabians. A harem for the women... 27th would support me in that.

By the way, where has he gotten hidden? DeT, you are not holding him prisoner?

DeTamble said...

*shakes key bunch* I sure am!! :D He's in my own harem ;)

I shall visit you GUG and you can tell me what a naughty little sister I've been and I shall hold out my wrist for the slap.

DeTamble said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Princess said...

DeT, why'd you go and delete the comment, huh?

Aside from the fact that there was no prior mention of '50' cows? :D

DeTamble said...

Yeah, sorry. See little Sister this is why you should never take drugs, they trip you the fuck out! :P So GUG commented on mine and the email came and for some reason I thought he commented here and not at my house and so I commented here and it should have been over there and so it has been mooooooved over yonder, to mine. Ohhh man I can't think today...

and no, I didn't take drugs, I'm just tired :)

gayuganda said...

Hey, who mentioned 50 cows, small sis?
Got a little cross eyed...

doesnt matter, especially when dear sis is also showering me with compliments...

Post a Comment