Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Good morning

Grey morning.

I am told that to the east of Kampala, there is no rain. Sun, in abundance. But, in Kampala, the days, the mornings dawn grey.
Not the dull grey of depression-, it is just a variant of the beauty of the day. Later, the sun will be out, and it will be hot. And bright, and clear.

Yesterday was a busy day. Not in that I accomplished much, but in that I was happy to do what I could.
There was one sour note to it. Before I went to bed, I got the chance to throw my voice again at the waves. As gayuganda, of course.
BBC. Don’t remember the programe. Was on with Richard Cohen, the prophet that Stephen Langa represents in Uganda.

Bad introduction?
Richard Cohen is the founder of International Healing Ministries. They heal away the gay…! He is the one who got the invitation from Stephen Langa to come to Uganda. And, he passed it on to his minister, Caleb Bundr…
And, it is his books that have been used, and are still being used in Uganda for the anti-gay crusade.

Oh, I am not kidding you. Stephen Langa holds Richard Cohen as a shining example of how homosexuality can be healed. His books are the bible of the cure. They are selling like hot cake at Langa’s anti-homosexuality seminars and crusades. I am not kidding you.

Biggest problem. Richard Cohen is a fraud.
Simply put, he is no scientist. He is a very big fraud. And, he has been discredited multiple times in his own country, the US. But, in Uganda, he is a prophet. The Prophet.

On the BBC, he wanted to heal me.
I, errrr. I exploded. Don’t think I was coherent, or made much sense. Don’t think I drove home the points that I wanted to. Don’t think I connected. There was too little time, I was too angry, too disgusted that this guy was offering me a nivarna that I knew to be as false as the witches coven that Ssempa believes is at the bottom of Lake Victoria.

His are the words, the ideals, the prophesies which my countrymen have seized upon to ‘wipe homosexuality out of Uganda.’ He is a fraud bent on selling his books, which are demonstrably false.

Hey, if you don’t believe me, check out the video of his show down on the Rachel Maddow Show on MSBC in the US. He is a fraud, plain and simple. Check those videos. They are two, and they are instructive. One, two.

It was a few minutes when I was frothing at the mouth…!
Later, the kind lady presenter told me it was great. Of course she was being kind. [Shake of the head], why do people believe that their feelings about my sexuality transcend my feelings about my sexuality, above my life? Why do they insist on changing me, even at the threat of death or imprisonment?

Point is, I have been through the hell they offer as heaven. Been there. Done that. I have the scars to prove it.

Different cultures? Maybe they don’t understand me. Maybe they don’t understand the livid, vivid pain that they cause me?

I am not sure.

All I know is that I heard one of the prophets of the projected Uganda free of homosexuality. And, I saw red at the arrogance that I imagined in him. But then, I might be mistaken.

Spent a restive night. Woken up to a fresh, crisp, grey day. And I feel good.

Hope the day is good to you.

gug

4 comments:

spiralx said...

You were going on (and on) about your terrible circumstances, gug! Princess-who-has-not-posted, and I, simply pointed that out! I added that you can be killed for being almost anything, somewhere in the world, too.

In other words, you have to retain a sense of balance about your life. Otherwise, you end up either burning up in a welter of bitterness and anger, or being the sole guest at your own pity-party.

Rather like Buturo, Orombi, Ssempa, and their US religious right backers and prompters, really!

And you took that on board, and I'm sure you're a better person to live with, day to day, for it!

Glad you had a chance to sound off on the BBC. Hopefully,one day, Uganda will also be enlightened enough to allow a proper debate for everyone, and not just the hysterical one-sided propaganda of our present regime.

gayuganda said...

Hi Spiralx,

of course I understood. That is why I backed down. Dont want to be like the people that I am always talking about in a bad light.

Hey, that doesnt stop me from giving you the evil eye.... All good advice deserves that....!

Jean-Paul, Canada said...

gug,

You were on BBC with Richard Cohen?!! Wow.

Here in Canada, I didn't pick that up, unfortunately. I would have loved to hear you and this American fraud businessman, and you are perfectly right to refer your readers to Rachel Maddow's interviews with this ex-gauy homophobe getting RICH with his lies and his incompetence.

I dearly hope no-one takes a shot at Richard Cohen. Is Ssempe still planning his march on January 19th?

Today Rachel Maddow has finally succeeded in interviewing a key member of the Family, who of course is playing down the role of The Family in this whole sordid mess.

* UGANDA GAY RIGHTS * UGANDA GAY RIGHTS *

Border Jumpers said...

Just fyi -- we wrote a column yesterday about the battle for gay rights in Uganda and Malawi on our website Border Jumpers called "Human Rights Battle in Uganda Hits Close to Home" at www.borderjumpers.org.

Here is an excerpt @ http://borderjumpers1.blogspot.com/2010/01/human-rights-battle-in-uganda-hits.html

Uganda, like most of the countries in Africa, is full of contradictions.

While everyone we met in Uganda was friendly and helpful, going out of their way to assist us when we needed directions, a Wifi hotspot, or a place to find vegetarian food, the country also has some of the most restrictive laws against human rights on the continent. While we were there, the "Bahati Bill" was introduced in parliament. The Bahati called for life in prison -- and in some case the death penalty -- for people found “guilty” of homosexual activity.

As gay marriage laws are passed around the world, including most recently in Mexico City, it's hard to believe that lawmakers would punish people for being gay or having HIV/AIDS. The Bahati bill also punishes anyone who fails to report a homosexual act committed by others with up to three years in jail, and a prison sentence of up to seven years for anyone who defends the rights of gays and lesbians.

Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, due to mounting pressure from governments such as the United States, across Europe, and in Canada, said that he opposes the measure, and would attempt to try and soften the bill. According to a recent story in Reuters, “the president has been quoted in local media saying homosexuality is a Western import, joining continental religious leaders who believe it is un-African.” With a national election looming in 2012, politicians seem to be using hatred against gays as a scapegoat for rising corruption and the weakening of civil liberties and freedom of the press.

Yet, even the possibility that a watered-down version of the proposed law could be passed, is an alarming sign of a dangerous trend of prejudice all over Africa. In Blantyre, Malawi, for example, a gay couple was arrested last week after having a traditional engagement ceremony. Homosexuality is punishable by 14 years in jail in Malawi
However, human rights advocates continue to fight. In Latin America, they hope that the success of legalized marriage in Mexico City will spread to Argentina, Venezuela, Chile, and other places. Uruguay permits gay parents to adopt and Columbia grants social security rights to same sex couples.

In the United States, gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender rights is one of the most import civil and human rights battles we currently face. Despite recent setbacks in California, New York, and Maine -- recent success in places like Iowa, DC, and New Hampshire -- means that during next decade the battlefield for LGBT rights is not only in Africa but also right here at home.

All our best, Danielle Nierenberg and Bernard Pollack

Post a Comment