Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Congratulations, Uganda?

 

Chest thumping, congratulatory time for many of my country mates

Fighting the horror of homosexuality, the Parliament of the Republic has managed to pass a ‘great and wonderful’ Anti-Homosexuality Bill.
It is currently at the President’s Desk. And of course he will sign it.

And even if he doenst, Parliament is quite sure that in this fight to uphold the sanctity of the Traditional Family, it will pass its very first over ride of the President’s Veto.

Good politics all around. The President must sign. The bill is too popular…
And even if he doesn’t, Parliament will show it can be better than a rubberstamp. [Which it has been, all the time]
And the President can claim impotence. [Ahem, his ego militates against that!]

My people believe that the legislating successfully anti-gay laws makes them special..,
In a way it does. In a way.., just goes to show how ‘advanced’ we are in protecting the ‘Traditional Family’. Most of us don’t even know that a man called Hitler executed gay people, or that apartheid South Africa persecuted us too.

My people are quite insular.

And, well, they are still my people. And gay people, down the ages, are still my people.
To my lovers past and present in Uganda, a poem by Cavafy  , reminder that our circumstances are not actually new, or that special. What is special is the fact that we do know that we can do better!

 

 

On The Stairs

 

As I was going down those ill-famed stairs

you were coming through the door, and for a second

I saw your unfamiliar face and you saw mine.

Then I hid so you wouldn't see me again,

and you hurried past me, hiding your face,

and slipped inside the ill-famed house

where you couldn't have found pleasure any more than I did.

And yet the love you were looking for, I had to give you;

the love I was looking for -so your tired, knowing eyes

implied

you had to give me.

Our bodies sensed and sought each other:

our blood and skin understood.

But we both hid ourselves, flustered.

 

 

Dude captured the moment. He died in 1933. Amazed that he felt what I feel. Oh poetry!

 

 

gug

No comments:

Post a Comment