Saturday, January 22, 2011

Homophobe


Doing the rounds of the web…. came across this article. Who is a homophobe?

 

Nice question. The sister of mine who declined to come to our tenth anniversary, is she a 'phobe? Actually, I still like her…well, she is my sis. But, I am also planning some very brotherly retaliation… because, I am still her brother, and she did hurt me. See, I am no Christian, and, I believe she knows that. To tell me that I live in sin so she cannot celebrate with me my time of happiness, oh yes, like any brother, I do not feel like forgiving….! LOL.

 

But. Is she a homophobe?

Someone examines that question in this article. And, the conclusions are kind of striking. Yes, she may sincerely believe her part of the story, but, is the label unjustified? Here are some parallels.  
 

People who are seeking to justify their anti-gay feelings often protest that they are not "homophobic" because they do not harbor any "animosity or hostility or fear" of gays and lesbians. Instead, they simply, sincerely believe that homosexuality is wrong and goes against God's will as they interpret it in the Bible. Thus, they assert, they cannot be labeled "homophobes."

Let me answer the question this way. There are people who sincerely believe -- and can find biblical justification for their belief -- that black people are inferior to white people. They hold no "animosity or hostility or fear" of black people (some of their best friends are black!), they just believe, and have scriptural "proof," that blacks are inferior. We still, however, do not hesitate to call them "racist."

Likewise, there are people who sincerely believe -- and can find biblical justification for their belief -- that women are inferior to men. They hold no "animosity or hostility or fear" of women (some of their best friends are women!), they just believe, and have scriptural "proof," that women are inferior. We still, however, do not hesitate to call them "misogynists."

Similarly, there are people who sincerely believe -- and can find biblical justification for their belief- - that Jews are inferior to Christians or other faiths. They hold no "animosity or hostility or fear" of Jews (some of their best friends are Jews!), they just believe, and have scriptural "proof," that Jews are inferior. We still, however, do not hesitate to call them "anti-Semites."

That's why I will call those who sincerely believe -- and can find biblical justification for their belief -- that gays and lesbians are inferior to heterosexuals "homophobes." Even if they hold no "animosity or hostility or fear" of gays and lesbians or have gay people as best friends, they remain homophobes.

 

The problem for those people who sincerely believe that they do not hate me, and still find it in their ability to hurt me…. they do hurt me. So, should I excuse them?
 
Well,
 
when am feeling very magnanimous.
 
I am sure Ssempa, Bahati, Buturo, Male, they also sincerely believe that I gayuganda should be killed, and, they find some very nice scriptural justfication for that.
 
 
gug

 

3 comments:

Megaera said...

I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and enjoying your perspective on things, but not commenting (I seldom comment on blogs). I truly admire your courage in being out in Uganda: I wonder whether I would have the courage to be out if I still lived in Zimbabwe.

There was an excellent post on homophobia on 'The Feel of Free' a couple of months ago which you might find interesting. I don't know if you know the blog: if not, the post is here: http://thefeeloffree.blogspot.com/2010/11/youre-homophobic-if.html

Best wishes to you and to your husband.

Matt said...

Another great post Gug and a great find. I've share both. All the best!

St said...

nice article, great blog
Go on with your worky, you will score a succes anyway!!!
St

Post a Comment