Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gay Parenting and other issues

I find that I need to be writing.

Am always asked. Why do I write? Different reasons, different times, differing motivation.

Right now, with the sun bright over Kampala, the skies blue, and few clouds, it is to put words to the feeling of giddy good health that is in my mind. But, there are things which also demand to put pen to paper.

Yeah, finger to keyboard to. Did I say I also write to see what verbal gymnastics I can get to?

Yes, I do!

Now, on love vs hate, ever wondered why it takes lots of words to try to justify hate?

Yes, it does.

It is simply because, love usually doesnt need so much explanation. I know, reams of poetry have been written, to explain that feeling. I know it when I hold my love, that though I may not be able to explain it, to find the exact words to nail down the emotion, that I feel it. And, I don't need so many to show him that I love.....! Actions are good enough. Even when I slip. And I do slip. Often.

But words to explain hate...
I am thinking of a particular character that is garrulous on another blog. Surely education is not what it is touted to be. Education and intelligence are two very distinctly different things.

And, I am thinking of Ssempa.
How that hypocrite cries that he loves homosexuals. I mean, I have heard him. And, he believes that the crocodile tears will wipe away the hurt that he inflicts so viscously, so callously. Oh yes, he does.

And, sorry Christians. He believes that he does all in the name of Christ.

And, paraphrasing Jesus' words, he fills the emptiness of hate with words.

A sorry character. Unfortunately. I don't find it within my pagan heart to forgive him. He has hurt, and continues to hurt me too much.

But, there are the rest of my country mates, the ones who believe that it is their god given right to persecute us homosexuals. Because we are gay....! Matters of nationalism, and other isms.

And, when the world complains (or we cry out that we hurt), the chorus of, you cannot be so un-African, seems to drown out our pain.
So, what if as reported by someone in the UK, the world disapproves? And, they silently vote with their feet in this way? From a reader of the blog who inboxed me, Tomas from Carlifonia.
Greetings from London and World Travel Mart. I hope you know that there is a silent boycott of the Uganda stand, which the Ugandans Tourism ministry has spent a lot of money on. Very few foreign tour operators visited the stand. There is a silent boycott of Uganda. WTM is the most significant travel trade show in the world.
But, my countrymates are too big headed. Sigh. Those thick skulls have to be made porous. Least of all because, I am their countrymate. And, I will not be silenced. And, I will continue my shouting. Till they hear....!

Hey, burn me, I am also a human being.

Came across a funny study, details. You remember that us homosexuals, especially in countries like Uganda are accused of molesting children? Of course we cannot adopt. We can barely 'live', legally, without finding our way into prison.

So, what happens when, children of lesbians actually prove to be much better looked after than those of the rest of the population?
No brainer. Two mothers is kinda cool, you know....! And, doesnt mean that I would not get into hot water. But, two mothers are cool.

The paper found that none of the 78 NLLFS adolescents reports having ever been physically or sexually abused by a parent or other caregiver. This contrasts with 26 percent of American adolescents who report parent or caregiver physical abuse and 8.3 percent who report sexual abuse.
According to the authors, "the absence of child abuse in lesbian mother families is particularly noteworthy, because victimization of children is pervasive and its consequences can be devastating. To the extent that our findings are replicated by other researchers, these reports from adolescents with lesbian mothers have implications for healthcare professionals, policymakers, social service agencies, and child protection experts who seek family models in which violence does not occur."

Now, that is a finger in the eye of some.

But, what can I say?

That, we gay people are just as human as other human beings.

And, stop persecuting us, if you do so....!

Have a brilliant day, as brilliant as it is this Kampala Summer.


gug

No comments:

Post a Comment