Thursday, March 3, 2011

Coming Out for Kuchus


I have not been blogging.

Why... lol, sometimes the time is too little. And I have to earn the money that fuels my food.... !

But, I also notice that blogging helps my thought processes. Which is great, because, I do love blogging. And the fact that I scour the web to find things of interest. Makes me be better informed than I would otherwise be.

You know the process of coming out? It is special. First I didnt think of it as so.... well, it seemed as if I didnt have that option. But, I find that it is important for me, and most likely for other kuchus in Uganda. Because we are human, like everyone else.

So, what about coming out....

Actually, first it was this post about the Gay African American reverand, who found that, after coming out, he had the chance to challenge the homophobia of others. And, he used his gifts to do so.

was a turning point for him professionally.

I now have an unambiguous vocation — a mission — to address the religious causes and roots of homophobia,” he told The Washington Post months later. “I will devote the rest of my life to addressing the ‘religious case’ against gays.”

He was true to his word. His sermons and lectures, always well attended, were packed in Cambridge and around the country as he embarked on a campaign to rebut literal and fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible.

And, here is one of England's Cricketers taking the opportunity offered by another gay sportsman coming out, to come out himself. Am told that the Premier League is way homophobic.... but, this one is a Cricketer.

England wicketkeeper Steve Davies has become the country's first professional cricket player to publicly announce he is gay.

"It is something I have lived for a long time with and I am really comfortable about things with now," Davies said. "I have got nothing to hide and I am ready to tell people."

The 24-year-old Surrey player made the announcement late Sunday in video interviews on the websites of The Sun and Daily Telegraph newspapers, saying he told England coach Andy Flower last year before going on the Ashes tour to Australia

Good for you dude.

We may not be able to come out, but, as you will discover, it is something that encourages lots of others. Countless nameless others like the writer here who you will probably never hear of. But, it is something that defines us as kuchus in this hostile world.

I am saying that I cannot come out.... lol, I am managing it. Remember, it is a process that is lifelong. I have opened a facebook profile in my names, and, am gradually habituating my 'friends' who happen to be queer and non queer, that this is a gay man... a gay Ugandan. Recently found a comment from a colleague at work warning all and sundry about some of our vile pics.... but, I cannot be responsible for my friends tastes, can I? LOL.

I am still coming out. And, fun is, I know where it is leading. Hope my straight friends are not too 'shocked'! When they at last realise that I am even 'deeper' than they knew! My life has been lived in mutually exclusive closets. Time I kind of intergrated the multiple personalities.... Good for my health.

Said I was not blogging? Seems as if the juices are flowing. So, I schedule this for posting, and see whether I can actually write another post!

Be well

gug

No comments:

Post a Comment