Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Kennedy, and Barack Obama

I have just read this piece about Barack Obama by Caroline Kennedy, daughter of JFK.


I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.


Jokes aside, I am fascinated by whatever is happening in America. I have no doubt that Obama is that rare individual, an inspiring and charismatic leader who can lead, really lead a nation, and a world. And he is for 'real', Ugandan lingo for, shall we say 'believably genuine'.

Yet politics is a rough game. Will he survive it? Will be interesting to note.

And, of course we have had those people that were transformed by leadership. Sankara of Burkina Faso was killed. Murdered. Melas Zenawi of Ethiopia? An ogre was underneath the surface. Museveni of Uganda? What a betrayal of promise.

This is real life. I am going to watch this thing with deepening interest, it seems.

GayUganda

No comments:

Post a Comment