Thursday, March 27, 2008

Its a Rainy Day!


It is raining outside. And I am warm and cozy inside.


I wish, I would- translate the beauty of the rain, to living dew on the page. Living, because it is life giving, and not but life can give birth to life. The city is bathed in rain.


Yes, it is not such a blessing to those who are in the valleys. Because the water is in the houses, and they cannot go out to play, nor stay in to sleep. Kampala is a city of hills and valleys. And when it rains, the valleys flood, and water everywhere is a sheet unbroken, flooding the ground.
I have lived in this city for most of my short life.


Yet there are some things which I am yet to see. Like the misery of the plain slums, not those of the heights of Naguru. But I have heard of the rumors, of rain and sun that makes this paradise a hell for some.


Money. Life’s apparent oil.


Yet, to think of it, us privileged few are not as adapted as those who have to sludge it out day after day. In mines, in poverty, in rain and sun, in the cold when it snows and when it rains with no shelter. Harder life than mine, but they have survived it.


Papers. Took a flat 2 minutes to pass through the New Vision.

No news, is good news? 30 something pages of soon to be toilet paper.


Maybe it would have been better not to come to work. The cold is too much, my nose overbearing, heavy, blocked. Cant work much. Cant stop looking out at the rain and cars and traffic and people. A sumptuous feast of eye candy.


The Cartoon? Its from the Monitor newspaper. The caption says, “Almost daily, humans and Marabou Storks fight for fish leftovers dumped at Kasenyi landing site in Entebbe, probably for food.”
Would it be more amusing if it was not true?
I doubt it. That is real life, unencumbered by the many ideals which we want to load it with.

GayUganda

1 comment:

Princess said...

ok, I am obviously your number one stalker.
I like this:

"I wish, I would- translate the beauty of the rain, to living dew on the page. Living, because itis llife-giving, and not but life can give birth to life."

Beautiful thought.

Post a Comment