Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Anti-Gay Agenda in Uganda; Part 2


(The Lies you Teach.)

Being gay is no easy thing. Being gay in Uganda is tough.

The world is tough, for everyone. It tends to be tougher for people who are different. Some of us never accept our sexuality. Many of us do accept, and opt, for one reason or another to live without coming out of the closet. Some of us do, and pay the price.

Being gay, anywhere, is tough. Being gay in a country as homophobic as Uganda is tougher. I know, in large part because I don’t talk about something that I have not experienced. The blood, and sweat, the lies and untruths, they all have been mine. Having come to accept what I am, to understand the mountains of hurt I did myself before, the freedom of self acceptance and self respect, self affirmation; that freedom is particularly sweet. It is so sweet that I get alarmed when people who don’t have an understanding of what I am, aim to hurt me- all in the name of love. And that is, to me, the biggest beef I have against Messrs Don Schmierer, Lee Brundidge, Scott Lively and their friends Ssempa, Langa and Nsaba Buturo.

Lee is a homosexual. He says he has somehow beaten back his same sex attraction. And, I will defend your right to define yourself as you do. If you want to do without love, and understanding, and acceptance, that is fine with me. You are in a group with lots and lots of history. Larry Craig, Ted Haggard, and all the others. (See Leornado, it all comes in handy!)
What I will not have, because it hurts me, is for you to tell lies about that. You may love in secret. You do me harm when you lie that you are cured.

Sure. I do believe you are less than truthful. Why? The truth; I have science to back me up! Amazing, isnt it? Though I know you will rubbish it...

Like most homophobic countries, Uganda is very, very ignorant of homosexuality. Since I am a homosexual, I dare not bask in that ignorance. Long ago, I read Freud and Jung. Trying to understand myself.
I didn’t have resources to do a real search of literature. I didn’t have the funds I have now, and I could only come across the old, discarded texts. I was disappointed. And not happy. No solutions. I was a homosexual, and sick. At least that is what I read in those old books I ferreted in libraries, cast offs, hand me downs; donations from countries far away to schools I attended.

But now, I can point to some very robust reading materials, on and off the net. Solid information about homosexuality and sexuality, which I never had access to, but is current state of the art, and accurate.
For the un-initiated, start with the Wikipedia article on Homosexuality . If you have ever done research, you will understand that it is not good to rely only on Wikipedia. It is a good general resourse. It is not perfect. But it beats a lot of other sources of accurate information.

If you are interested in cutting edge stuf,  check out the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy's article on Homosexuality.

You ask why I go high powered over the literature landscape? Most of my colleagues and country mates tend to pull out the Bible and Quaran and hurl condemning verses like stones. Helps to know that I don’t believe, am an un-believer. And helps to know that there is some credible research that I can lean against. And it is there. Very good information, for gay and non gay alike. If you want to condemn and hurl stones at me, before I accuse you of being an ignorant bigot, you have to know a bit of the mainstream knowledge about my sexuality that you condemn so vociferously.

On the causation of homosexuality. Well, you can make up your mind. I have listened to people talk about the lack of the homosexual gene. No gene? Maybe. But then you will have to stretch to explain homosexuality in animals other than man.

What is so interesting about these facts, is that Messrs Don Schmierer, Lee Brundidge, Scott Lively and their friends Ssempa, Langa never dared to go into this kind of giving of knowledge. No, this knowledge in truth empowers homosexuals, like me. It takes away their vulnerability to people who tell them that they are bad, un-natural, sick. I remember Ssempa spitting in disgust on live TV, as he describe what he thought was of how bad and sick and dirty homosexuals are.
The knowledge that these gentlemen give, and dare to give is blaming the homosexual’s family, claiming that something went wrong there, and of the need to change, with therapies that hurt us.

Those therapies. There I can go ballistic, and will. Check the next post.

It is liberating that I am gay, and normal. It is liberating to know that there are other homosexuals out there. It is fantastic to know that they have gone through the problems I have experienced, and at last come up feeling liberated, free, high on freedom.

Of course there are homosexuals who are bad, and those who are good. Doesn’t mean that you lie to us that there are none. Ssempa and Langa harp about homosexual rape in school. So help me, heterosexual rape of the under-aged occurs. Defilement, as it is commonly known in Uganda. 

Please, if you in truth dare to love a homosexual, don’t, DO NOT compare us to rapist, drug addicts, sinners. That tarring of us because we are different is one of the worst cases of Christian lack of charity. We are not to blame for the world economic downturn, for Katrina, 9/11 and so on and so forth.

Shame on you Christian, for the lies you tell about me.




gug

2 comments:

Leonard said...

Amen! It IS about shame...uncomfortably, yet truthfully, it is the accusers who are shameful:

" What is so interesting about these facts, is that Messrs Don Schmierer, Lee Brundidge, Scott Lively and their friends Ssempa, Langa never dared to go into this kind of giving of knowledge. No, this knowledge in truth empowers homosexuals, like me. It takes away their vulnerability to people who tell them that they are bad, un-natural, sick. I remember Ssempa spitting in disgust on live TV, as he describe what he thought was of how bad and sick and dirty homosexuals are."

Anonymous said...

"We are not to blame for the world economic downturn, for Katrina, 9/11 and so on and so forth."

...Insert all the problems uganda faces at the feet of its heterosexual government

Post a Comment