Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rumblings at the Break of Day

Poetry.

Even the most base of my emotions can be uplifted by words of love. There is a calm philosophy to love. We are evolving intelligences, if we allow ourselves the luxury of learning. For, we can stand between ourselves and understanding. Or, we can open our hearts and embrace love. Even in a world of hate, fear, oppression. Love can come pouring out of the smallest quirk of the lips.

 

I see you are the breathing stone whose arms
Hold beauty carved for ever motionless.
 
August Graf Von Platten Hallemunde, translated

 

I can allow others to debase my love, to show it to the world as nothing. Or, I can stand out on my feet and declare, enough is enough.

I may not shout. I may not scream. I may not yell, in frustration at a world that seems determined to mistrust my deepest intentions. But my actions will shout what I am louder than those who demonise me before millions. And, victory is mine. Because it is my destiny.

----

 

Have you ever heard of a guy called Paul Cameron?

Don't worry. Even I had never ever done so. Till I came into contact with the teaching of Steven Langa. Langa is the guy who invited the three Americans to teach Ugandans about the gay agenda. That great, big, black, bad thing that is struggling to swallow the Ugandan 'traditional family'

Langa quotes him, because Richard Cohen quotes him in his book 'Coming Out Straight', the one that is being used as the scriptures for the anti-gay campaign in Uganda.

Now, Richard Cohen was shown to be a dolt by Rachel Maddow. [Lets not go into that.]

And, Paul Cameron is worse. He is like Scott Lively. Only this one manufactures the evidence of how bad homosexuals are. And, for his troubles, he has been kicked out of more professional societies that I have never ever dreamed of trying to belong to. Shows you that too much reading does not benefit the soul. [ahem, ahem]

Anyway, the bits that Langa quotes are the ones that Paul Cameron actually, unashamedly manufactured. Because he believes that gay people are so bad, they should be helped into hell. On earth before they die, of course.

He is a man of statistics. Is Paul Cameron. I hear, according to him, gay soldier rape some (6, 7??) times more than their  straight counterparts. Apparently, he is propping up the proposition that DADT should NOT be repealed.

----

Why is my sexuality so political? So politicised?

Actually, I would be lying to say that I know. There are certain things that are seized upon by politicians, made important because they cause the masses to froth with emotion and anger.

 

I happen to be a member of a minority group which excites such passion. So, even though I am as political as my credentials to football (soccer) fanhood are, I have to wade through the politics.

 

I am very aware that even my supporters are not altruistic. [sigh], It would be hilarious for me to think of Kuchus like so. We are the essence of humanity. Some of the greatest things come from the least of us. Like love poetry, or some deep down poetic up wellings that clothe our emotions and frustrations in love and life. Or, in just plain life.

 

We are just human. Not even our sexuality saves us from that essential curse, or blessing. We are just human.

----

 

The story of being gay in a world that hates. And, that teaches you to hate yourself. And no, this was not Uganda. It is not Kenya. It is in the US of A. Here is the story, a tear jerker. Of a guy who was straight, and friend to one who was gay.

-----

Day has broken.

I used to rave about the birds that sing in the trees at the break of day. Today, I have been out of bed early enough to listen to them.

But, it was cold. And, the house was warm, and too inviting. I have heard them, but from the inside of the house. Now, the cocks are crowing. Kind of winding up that which has already been. The morning chorus is replaced by a chirp now and then. The day has begun, for Kampala's residents.

 

I have scanned the news online… Ugandan papers for some news about Ssempa and his demonstrartion. Didn't see any. But, I stumbled upon this story of courage. Some guys living with HIV.

 

It always is a challenge, isn't it? I do believe that rising to challenges defines what we are. It makes life that much more juicy, and bouncy, and more lively. It is not the strong man who lifts a car with ease and proudly displays it. That is fine, and good, and bright.

But, think of one who is lame, who drags themselves through the streets to go to work. That is a kind of desperate, daily courage, having to overcome the day to day challenges any common Ugandan would face. And adding on a mountain that one was born with, grows lighter with time, though heavier.

 

Yes, I am thinking of someone who is that courageous.

 

Be well. Have a beautiful day.

 

 

gug

No comments:

Post a Comment