Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Conversation with a Ugandan Legislator

This bill means the difference between life and death for me.

No frills. No political correctness. No fake ideals, or anything like that. And, I must admit to myself that, the gloves have to be off. I have to say it like it is, and show the world what we are up against.
If I seem too ruthless, forgive me. It is my life in balance. If you think you cant sink as low as I, well, lucky you.

I have been concerned that the knowledge that is out in the world, that I am privy to is not getting to the major principles of the bill. So, as the news came in, I decided to send to a few legislators, Ugandan MPs, the reaction of the rest of the world.

So, I sent the Rick Warren letter. The Rachel Maddow links, [I know, in Uganda, almost impossible to download video clips]. I sent the update on the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Vatican, etc.

Have had quite a conversation. Private.

Well, I have decided to make part of it public. On this blog. The conversation between me and the Rt Honourable Benson Obua Ogwal. (UPC) Member of Parliament for Moroto.



Started a while ago.

I sent him this article. 'Christians, Put down the Stones'

Here was the esteemed legislators response.


Dear Anonymous Gay,
And you think this will deter us?
There are a very few aspects of the Bill that we can concede on like the Death Penalty and Extra-territorail Jurisdiction, but Gays won't have a field day in this country, try as the would. It is not about any of those Anti-Gya activists being attacked in the media. It is about Uganda. If only Gays could do it behind closed doors and not try to lure the innocent poor youth, it
would be a different matter. But they are becoming bolder and bolder.
Benson.
My brief reply

Put down the Stones, Mr. MP
You have accused us of too many false deeds.
Put down the Stones

Then, after some time, I sent the statement of the Vatican Permanent representative to the United Nations that I blogged about here. Just the statement.

Here was Hon. Benson's reply.


Hey Gay Pervert,
How about this one coming from all religious leaders across board right here
at home?:
www.monitor.co.ug/artman/publish/news/Church_leaders_back_govt_on_anti-
gay_Bill_95758.shtml
We love gays, but hate homosexuality which has no place here.
Forget about the Bill being withdrawn, for it will be passed in due time.
Benson.

Here is my reply

Hi Honourable MP,
Yes, I have noted the perjoratory term you have used.
Personally, I think it shows some very fine defects in your intellect. But, I cannot say so. I am the pervert, arent I?
You, sir, and all the ones you have copied this letter, are shaming my beautiful country. Yes, I am gay. and Ugandan. And, you are shaming my country, before the whole world.
Rick Warren has denied Ssempa, and come out against the Bill. So will the rest of the world. The Catholic Church is going to come out against the bill. And, you will continue calling me a pervert, dear honourable MP.
Dont think it takes much intelligence to work out who will be the dishonourable person and who will not.
Thanks for your nice comments, dear esteemed honourable
gug
Then followed a long conversation while the Rt Honourable Gentleman was kind of silent. Then, he was apparently irked by my reference to myself as the gay pervert. Kind of irks when one embraces the spear instead of shying away from it, doesnt it?

Here was his next e-mail to me.


It is not me who calls gays perverts. It is the Bible, and I believe in theBible. Gays and lesbians are perverts. And I cannot call you "Gay Uganda" because Uganda is not gay. What is your real name?
 The religious groups in Uganda who met at Entebbe under the eigis of Inter Religious Council of Uganda and endorsed the Bill were represented at the top most levels in person: Archbishop of the Church of Uganda, The Metropolitan of the Orthodox Church, The Archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Kampala who is head of the Catholics in Uganda, The Mufti who head moslems of Uganda, The head of the Seventh Day Adventists and the President of the Born Again Federation of Uganda.
Think about it.
Benson.

My reply

Hi Benson,
My name is gay Uganda the pervert.
I happen not to be a Christian. It is a foreign religion. I dont believe in it. Does that make me less a Ugandan? I will think about that.
Do you represent only Christians in your Constituency?
Ok, thanks, so you confirm that the Catholic Archbishop was amongst the 200 church leaders and the Moslem leaders. Was the Cardinal there?
Thanks, thanks, thanks.
I will think much about that. I assure you.
Tell me, Benson, do you really think there is nothing wrong with this bill of yours? The Bahati/Benson Bill. I am just curious. So many people from all over the world have condemned it that I am curious about your view. You as Benson. Do you think Uganda must be right and the world MUST be wrong? 
gug
His reply

Why are panicky, Mr who? Why don't you wait and see what MPs are going to do with this Bill as representatives of their people? This protracted and winding arguments are not going to be very helpful because they are simply convuluted.
Has it ever occured to you that the whole world could be wrong and only Uganda right on this gay thing? Why must we see things through the lenses of the WORLD that might be totally lost? Does it not bother you that it is evil, wrong and dirty to use an organ meant for egesting something dirty? Give me a break!!
 
I represent all in Moroto, but will be disappointed to find that there is a gay there. My people are very happy with my stand on the Bill.
I do not know the difference between the Cardinal and the Archbishop, but I know His Emminence the Cardinal Emmanuel Wamala retired recently and was replaced by Bishop Kizito Lwanga. I am inclined to think the latter was there.
I know what you want to say, but spare yourself the trouble; The Vatican may have a position that is different as you are trying to say, but this is Uganda.
I think this debate is up. It is taking me nowhere!! There is nothing new coming here. It is beginning to irritate me that you keep flooding my inbox with your mails. Remove me from your mailing list. 

My reply. Dont think I will hear from the Honourable in some time anyway.

Hi Benson,

So, there are no gay people in Karamoja? I dont really know how to reply to that. The best answer would be that I am from there. But, you will not believe a gay Ugandan pervert, will you?
Why panicky? The mps in my country have tabled a bill in which I and any other Ugandan who is like me is to be imprisoned or killed. Because we are different.
You know, I have too much evidence and knowledge that Uganda is in the wrong here. That is why I am asking you for your take on it. Tells me your state of mind. So, you do think that Uganda is right and the world is wrong. Interesting.
I see life through my own eyes. MY OWN EYES. I happen to be too independent not to question what people like Mr Langa tell me. I question, I listen, I look, I observe. I come to conclusions.
For example, I am not a Catholic. But, well, I know the difference between the Archbishop and the Cardinal.
Benson, Benson, I am a Ugandan. The law of the spear prevails. You have one to my throat. My life. That is the option you give me with a bill which gives me life in prison or death. For you it might be an academic thing. For me, well, it is not, Mr Member of Parliament.
Which reminds me that you are supposed to represent all Ugandans who are in your Moroto district. Not only those who are in UPC, or those who are saved, or Christian. That is our right as Ugandans. And, we are Ugandans.
So, the shame, Mr Member of Parliament, is squarely in your corner.
I remain
gay Uganda the Pervert. 

Hmmmmmm! Hindsight, I am playing with fire.

The coals are up in the air, and I am juggling it. Probability that I will be burned? Very high, unfortunately. I am bearding the lion in his den.

But, even a mouse can fight when it is the mouse's life in balance.

Pray for this mouse...


gug

19 comments:

Eduardo Guize said...

well done, man, praying here

+JN1034 said...

We pray each day for you, beloved mouse.

We are Orthodox clergy in Greece, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Israel, and UK praying for you. And we condemn the thoughts, words, deeds of the Orthodox Archbishop Jonah of Kampala and his Vicar Rev Prof Peter Matovu. We have many posts on our blog about Uganda and that evil Bill of death. Be strong.

You are a far greater man and are more free than many in democratic countries ... your heart is liberated to truth, and that is what makes you a full human, even with the pain and tears.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. If only all men had your courage.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord, forgive them for they don't know what they do (meant for Benson of course ;-)()

Anonymous said...

Please post the email addresses of those in government who support this bill.....we honor your bravery.....

Anonymous said...

What Ugandans think

http://ugandagaybill.wordpress.com/

gayuganda said...

Seen that post there? By anonymous... The one linking to the Ugandagaybill.

It is a Ugandan, in the diaspora? Who comes well, saying all the things that have been said about us gay Ugandans.

If I say that he is wrong, well, he will not believe me. Me, I am a gay pervert. And, his pastor told him different.

Yet I am a gay Ugandan living in the very suburbs that he talks about. And, I know what his pastor does not know. Why, I am gay. But that means pervert and liar, doesnt it?

Shame.

Anon, the Parliament of Uganda website has the contacts of all MPs in Uganda.

thanks everyone for your concern, and support.

gug

+JN1034 said...

I gave a long comment at http://ugandagaybill.wordpress.com and if it is not published, here it is for you to read:


I agree that Ugandans have the right to self-determination and self-rule. No other nations have the right to interfere or judge Uganda.

Except when international human rights laws are being violated. Uganda is a Member State of the UN since 1945. Uganda's membership to the UN, and Uganda's acceptance of the International Bill of Human Rights and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, grants all Member States the right to speak up and intervene when these laws are being violated.

Yes, Ugandans must make their own decisions. But even these decisions must comply, first, by Uganda state law, and second, by international law. The Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009 is in violation of the International Bill of Human Rights and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. And so, Ugandans may make their own decisions ... but within the international lawful limits that the government of Uganda accepts by its membership in the UN.

It is "Shame on Uganda's government." Not on all the people of Uganda. Not on the history of the nation. And here is where you amd all Ugandans are responsible for your decisions: Either you empower your leaders to continue violating human rights, or you don't. The result is your decision, not the outsiders.

We outsiders will speak up for the victims of crimes against humanity when you won't. That is our decision and right by international law.

Kirk Childress said...

I would be pleased to enter into dialog with MP Ogwal. Would it be possible to pass on an email address where he can be reached?

Kirk Childress
Houston, TX

Chris said...

I'm sorry, bro.

All power to you. Because you need it.

Coxygru said...

To Kirk and others interested in writing Ugandan MPs.

Go to www.parliament.go.ug for details on each MP.

Ogwal's email address is obua-ogwal@parliament.go.ug

Have fun!

Jason said...

I'm writing a blog series titled, "Uganda's 'Kill the Gays' bill" which has been nominated for an NWT Blog Award. Here's the link: http://bestnwtblogs.blogspot.com/2009/12/voting-now-open.html

Many people are blogging and action is taking place.

I believe your government was given false information. This information was said to be scientific fact. The authors of these scientific studies have been discredited and dismissed. They themselves say that in the next printing of the book, certain sections will be removed.

I think what needs to happen is for everyone to pressure the people who gave out the false information in the first place, return to Uganda and correct themselves; to the MPs faces.

Your government deserves to know the truth.

gayuganda said...

Thanks Jason, thanks everyone.

I know that the homophobia in the country was fueled by the most fantastic kind of stupidly wrong information.

I have tried to get that across. Unfortunately, at this time, no one listens to a gay person. Period.

And, defence of the bill is suicide. Political, social suicide.

zorah said...

I suspect that the author/owner of the blog claiming to represent the thoughts of Ugandans is not Ugandan. S(he) says that Africa is a country. 6th para:
"People outside should stop talking about Africa like they really know what’s going on down here, Africa is a country where a young girl of say 15years..."

Gug, power to you. There are people around the world, Africans and non-Africans, fighting to make sure that your rights are protected.

Anonymous said...

My brother,greetings from Ireland
Please be assured of my support and prayers - I have put your blog on my facebook profile - please let me know if there is anything else I can do to support.
John
p.s my mail address is dialoguentai@hotmail.com

Peter Lewerin said...

(Posting from Sweden) We're trying to spread the word. While we can't influence how the legislators decide, we can at least make sure the world knows about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm Ugandan I hate to see gay and lesbienism brought into our country I fear being raped by a couple of guys. The situation is scarely let's not even think about the west we should just pass this bill as it is, I don't care if Lose the aid money it's nothing any way.

gayuganda said...

Ohhhh!!!


Poor Ugandan. We should just kill off these bad Gay Ugandans because you fear them, eh?!

Poor Ugandan....!

Anonymous said...

Everyone should take the little step to make his or her dream come true.To get closer to your dream, you can find more information if clicking
[url=http://www.oureplicawatches.com/ROLEX-470-1-1.html]grade a replica watches[/url],
[url=http://www.salefakewatch.com]TAG HEUER REPLICA[/url],
[url=http://www.z-watch.com]fake Rolex[/url],
[url=http://www.futureviewlighting.com]led strip[/url],
[url=http://www.new-ed-hardy.com]ed hardy sunglasses[/url]and
[url=http://www.sunglassesfocus.com]Oakley sunglass[/url].

Post a Comment