Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reporting about homosexuality in Uganda

Interesting article on reporting about homosexuality from Uganda.

Hey, gug shouts. It is his blog. His sexuality, and, the people who want to kill him are evil and telling lies. So, I will call them out. After all, I am anonymous. To some extent.

But, this has been a hot topic on the news for the last 4 months, and even more. So, what are the challenges that a journalist faces?

From my point of view,
  • they first have to educate themselves. Simply reporting the lies that Ssempa parrots, and the pseudo science of Stephen Langa is NOT journalism, especially when MY life depends on it [snort]

  • Reading the bill is something that is necessary. (Now, I had a copy of it somewhere... Where is yours?)

  • And, of course asking people who are concerned. Forget gayuganda. He is passionate, and directed, and offensive. I do understand. So, let us forget him. But, what of the other people?
    • Religious leaders other than Ssempa and Solomon Male
    • Doctors to tear apart the stupid pseudo science. It is pseudo science. It is stupid. And, if anyone, even icearc dares to take me on on that, why, I will show him that most Ugandan doctors dont know anything about MY sexuality. It is a subject close to my heart, so sorry if I do happen to know more than my doctors...!
    • Lawyers about the actual meaning of the words in the bill.
  • I assume that a journalist is not a citizen blogger like gayuganda. So, you go ahead and prove that you are the proffesional.
So, now that is out of the way, what are the challenges that are faced by journalists reporting about homosexuality in Uganda? Here is the article. And, excerpts.

Handling issues of homosexuality in Uganda's rural media
----
"I've been avoiding discussing the Bahati Bill because it has created a lot of controversy. Everybody is talking about it," says Ugandan journalist Moses Walugembe.

Those are not the words you expect to hear from a senior producer of Radio Buddu's popular talk show Kinanjokyankimize. Walumgembe usually likes to tackle difficult issues ranging from food shortages in some of his district's poorest areas, to border security.

But talking about the Bahati Bill is another matter. Nicknamed after the Member of Parliament who drafted it, David Bahati, Walugembe is referring to Uganda's controversial Anti-Homosexuality bill.
Since the bill was drafted last year, the national media in Uganda has capitalised on its controversy, running front page stories and high-profile debates on radio and television networks.

But coverage outside the capital Kampala has been minimal.

Walumgembe says the boss of his radio station in Masaka forbid him from discussing the issue and local authorities wouldn't allow it either.

"Part of doing a successful programme is to have balance, at least that's what we're being taught in our BBC WST training," says Walugembe. "But I know I can't balance this issue because I wouldn't be allowed to get the perspective of gay people or the people who support them."


hmm, want to read more? the article is here.

Called away.

be good.

gug



3 comments:

unused said...

And, if anyone, even icearc dares to take me on on that, why, I will show him that most Ugandan doctors dont know anything about MY sexuality.

I stand forewarned!
But not to sell doctors short, our forte' is in recognising spatial and temporal trends, patterns from a clients history, and putting them in context of the client en route to diagnosis and management. In other words, the most powerful tool at our disposal.......patience and attentiveness to the client's narrative of why they felt it necessary to come to a doctor. A good doctor at work, is the most unprejudiced fellow(barring lawyers), only then can he have the best chance at diagnosis, curative and preventive intervention.
There's alot of research out there, but interpretation is crucial. For example, there was a research across sub-Saharan Africa that showed the need to have comprehensive policies directed to gays incorporated into national health programmes , as a means of combating the HIV epidemic especially. But the Ssempa ilk, will instead interprete this as another reason why the bill is crucial. Call me elitist, but what makes one an HIV expert with a theology degree, even if a Ph.D!

gayuganda said...

Ha,

he takes my challenge and speaks 'doctorese'

No icearc, I am not intimidated!!!

My warning stands, and, now I do know how to deal with those who want to kill me for HIV prevention....

A doctorate in Theology, indeed!!!!

unused said...

LOL,gug, "doctorese", it must be my third language! No intimidation intended!

Post a Comment